[alfa] Re: hogging out exhaust ports

In a message dated 8/29/03 11:36:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> On the other hand, now that I think of it, hogging out the _exhaust_  might
> actually _lower_ emissions. Decreased exhaust velocity should increase
> reversion, which might work sort of like increasing the volume of the
> exhaust gas recirculation, especially at lower RPM.  I'm going to have to
> think about that one for a minute!

The majority of vintage British motorcycles have pretty good intake ports and
pretty horrible exhaust ports. A lot of power is to be had in these engines
by flooring up the exhaust ports to increase exhaust gas velocity. This
improves scavenging and therefore cylinder filling, resulting in more power.
Stevan Thomas
Alameda, CA