Re: gear lightening / 2nd synchro

Peter Kemos wrote:

Sorry about the rant but the "why did Alfa make such a weak 2nd synchro......" sets me off a little.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to get the gears lightened, as it does allow for quicker shifts, but at the same time there is nothing wrong or weak about the stock design either.
But quick shifting is a valid metric for transmission performance, and when using that measure, Alfa transmissions frankly suck. It would be one thing if no one else could manage it, or it was really expensive, or technically complex. It isn't.

Sure I feel like a bad-ass double-clutching, matching revs, and shifting cleanly (a bit of a feat, as my car had practically NO 2nd gear synchro by the time I got it.) However my friend's '88 Honda with 385,000miles was impossible to grind, and I can't think of a way to rationalize how my Alfa transmission is superior.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org