Re: Gear Lightening

Whoops, when I received Jason's question message I didn't realize it had been
posted to the digest.  Here is essentially the answer I provided in private.

-R

Hey Jason,
I had mine done about a year and a half ago, and the cost was essentially $500
(just shy actually).  I wouldn't be surprized if the price has gone up a bit but
I would expect not much.

There are two clusters of gears in the TA boxes as well as the spider's - the
main shaft and the lay shaft.  I believe you could get some benefit from just
doing the gears on the main shaft, but it's not recommended and I would agree.
Once you've got the box out of the vehicle and torn apart it would be a
penny-wise, dollar-foolish economy, for perhaps a hundred and fifty less - but
that's my opinion.

One of the other fellas made the point but I'll repeat it, because I know the
cost is not small.  Lightening the gears not only makes shifting better/quicker
it also is claimed to make the synchros last *way* longer.  (I say claimed
because mine's not old enough for me to say that it is so from my own
experience.)  So you can use that point/fact to help talk yourself into it -
you'll not need to get into that box again for a looong time, if you do it.

-R