GTV-6 electrical problem(s)

I had some issues with my '82 GTV-6 on the way to school last week, which kind of worries me since I don't exactly have tools, free time, or a garage while I'm here for the semester.

The first problem was a stumbling under low-RPM acceleration when the EFI was in closed-loop mode. This had been going on for awhile, but only when the car was cold. I assumed that it must be a poisoned oxygen sensor since my car burns a *lot* of oil so I replaced the fancy-pants Denso sensor I got from Ian Lomax a while ago with an $18 OEM Bosch one from AutoZone. Of course I didn't get this done until the night before leaving for school (you know how it is when you're a college student working 45hrs/week all summer until the day before you drive your 20-yr-old, $450 Alfa 300 miles to go school, and try and get a semester's worth of maintenance done before you leave...or maybe you don't). When I set off, it ran rough in closed loop like it had before, but I was at speed before the car warmed up, so I was at worst slightly annoyed. Then I got stuck in 5+ miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic in Columbus. Despite being fully warmed up for a couple of hours, it continued to stumble in closed loop mode. Stop and go traffic became quite a pain in the ass when I had to essentially floor it to accelerate smoothly. This nonsense and the slipping the clutch that was associated with it got the car hot enough that the overtemperature warning light came on for the second time in the 4 years and 32,000 miles that I've put on the car (first time I was stuck in traffic in August with a failing water pump and only one cooling fan) and I had to turn the aircon off. When I got to school I just shorted the terminals on the full-throttle switch so that it runs in open loop mode all the time, and sure enough, the problem is gone. But that's not a fix, that's a workaround, and if anyone has any idea what the real problem is (ECU?) I'd love to hear it. The oxygen sensor works fine for my fuel/air mixture gauge, by the way.

A little beyond the Columbus traffic jam I ran into heavy rain that necessitated turning the wipers on. When the wiper motor first came on and drew peak current, the radio blipped off for a moment. I repeated this several times to verify it, and also discovered that when the aircon is off the problem doesn't occur (cooling fan and electromagnetic clutch probably draw a lot of current so this didn't surprise me). In my experience, this problem on a GTV-6 indicates a dirty junction where the alternator, battery, and fusebox come together in the left front of the engine compartment. But upon reaching my destination, this connection turned out to be clean and tight. Also, I drove the car at night a couple days ago, and the alternator light appears to be glowing brighter than usual. What's the deal? (I checked alternator output voltage the morning I left home, by the way, and it was spot on at 14.3V, but that was with no accessories turned on.) I'm tempted to suspect the ignition switch and related wiring since it seems to have been messed with by the PO, but my radio's on a relay so it's only drawing like 5mA through the ignition switch, and the aircon stuff is on relays from the factory. The wipers aren't though, unless the box that controls the intermittent wipe also functions as a relay to keep the wiper current from going through the ignition switch. So I figure it would have to be the fuse box, but I just cleaned all the fuses and holders a month ago, and I had the whole fuse box disassembled a couple years ago at which time I cleaned every single contact in there. But what else could it be? If it were the alternator, the battery would cover for it (and eventually die, which hasn't happened), right? So it has to be the wiring between that junction and the affected systems, right? Is there anything that I'm overlooking?

Could it be that the two issues are related? I haven't tried using the wipers since I shorted the full-throttle switch, so besides the alternator warning light glowing more than usual, the problem has gone away for all I know. Is there any way that a screwed-up ECU in closed-loop mode would draw a bunch of current and cause this apparent lack of electrical power that I associate with dirty junctions?

TIA,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6