RE: Removing Spider Winshield Cowling

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:44:28 -0400
From: "Joseph A Fillip, Jr." <joseph.fillipjr@domain.elided>
Subject: Removing Spider Windshield Cowling

Can anyone advise me on how to remove the windshield cowling (the plastic
cover over the wiper motor) on a Series 3 Spider (mine is an '88)? I need
replace the windshield washer tubing.

Any help appreciated.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA
DVAROC

Joseph, you must remove the complete windshield apron.  In the following
order: remove the wiper arms (13mm nut), the plastic bezel underneath,
and the rubber cones below them (if you remove the 22mm? nuts you will
avoid tearing them).  Open the hood, fold forward the weatherstrip at the
firewall and remove the 4 screws (you may have to loosen the elect. cable
hold-downs to get to the nuts).  Remove the 2 phillips head screws at the
base of the windshield moulding, slide it down, forward and lift it off.
Lift the front of the windshield apron and work it off the rear clips and
over the wiper shafts.  Be extra careful when changing your washer
tubing; the nozzle bodies and stems are only plasic.  I would use wire
side-cutters to snip the tubing below them then slice the
remainder lengthwise with a razor (AMHIK).  Reassembly is the reverse but
is usually more difficult.  You may have to raise the rear of the apron
in the clips near the corners to get the polished trim strip to grab the
clip tabs but an 18" pry-bar will slip through the 'window' at rain
gutter and do the job.

Graham L. DavisSt. Louis AROC'91 164 L'89 Milano Verde'89 Spider Grad