The FrankenSpider Annual Report

Woo, it's been a long time since I wrote to the Alfa Digest. I guess I'm into a yearly cycle now.

I felt moved to write because the Spider decided to quit running today as I approached El Camino on Page Mill Road (Palo Alto, CA, USA for those from out of the area), stranding me almost in the middle of that busy intersection. I called my mechanic and went through the motions of checking the coil wiring, the ECU relay fuse and relay, etc. Nada, no fire. I called AAA (a cell phone and a AAA Plus card are two essential accessories :-) and they sent a tow truck. Reasonably promptly, the whole incident only absorbed an hour and a half of my day.

This is the third time in 11 months that the little dear^H^H^H^Hbastid has required a tow home. The last time was New Year's Eve and it took me until July to sort out and get it running again. I wonder how long it will sit this time.

The reason I was moved to write is that while I was waiting for the tow to arrive, a beautiful GTV happened by. The driver stopped momentarily and called out to ask if I needed assistance. I signalled that all was in hand, a tow was on the way. A few minutes later, a ratty Milano pulled up behind me, the driver offered assistance, handed me a small bottle of water (it was a very hot and sunny day). And then just as the tow truck arrived, the GTV returned and the driver got out, asked me if everything was all right, etc.

I have NEVER in all my years of playing with silly cars and bikes, had this kind of support and roadside friendship offered from a group of auto enthusiasts. If either of you folks are on this list, thank you. I really appreciate it. And thank you again for your simple kindness, offered without expectation of reward.

The Little Italian Taxi is back downstairs in the garage. Larry and I will figure out what broke and get it back on the road again sometime soon. When it runs, it runs beautifully. When it doesn't ... well, I drive the Land Rover and don't worry about it too much. ;-)

Godfrey