Re: alfa-digest V9 #739

    SLightly off topic but I would like to support my "other" automotive
adiction besides ALFAs :-)
The measured displacement of the Mazda rotary is 1.3L, (80 cubic inch) but
all three faces of the internal rotors are at work when it spins, so in
effect it uses the displacement more often than a piston engine.  The rotary
follows the standard four cycles of the Otto engine without the parasitic
loss of a valvetrain. Neat facts about the rotary:

The rotary motion has a small (10mm) eccentricity instead of being circular
The Mazda implementation has two rotors designed with this eccentricity
offset to cancel out vibrations
Fantastic mechanical efficiency is offset by poor thrmodynamic efficiency
Power pulse on the rotary is almost 270 degrees of a 360 degree rotation

-Nathan
1993 Mazda RX-7 sequential twin turbo
1991 ALFA Spider
1988 SAAB 900 SPG