bedding in rings

    Greetings.  Some years ago, IIRC, there was a discussion of breaking in
stubborn piston rings using something like scouring powder.  Anybody recall
this that could point me to the appropriate digest?  Is this a legitimate
technique?  I'm trying to help out a friend with a fresh engine on an old
BMW where the machinest used too fine a stone for chrome rings, which just
refuse to seat.  Short of pulling and tearing down the engine again this
seems appealing if it would work.  IIRC, you pour a small amount down the
throat of the carb and let it run for a while, then change the oil, flush
the engine, etc.  Anybody?
    On an Alfa note, anybody going to Lime Rock this weekend for the Vintage
Fest?  Alfa corral?  TIA, Ron.