Re: Mazda RX8 was Re: S2000 & 120 bhp/litre - now Alfa related

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:25:10 -0500
Bernie Bennett <bennetts77833@domain.elided> wrote:

Hi Bernie

> And no one yet has mentioned the 1.3 litre twin rotor -- rotary Mazda RX
> 8 with 207 hp / 164 lb ft @ 7,500 rpm automatic
> &  247 / 159 @ 8,500 rpm 6 speed. Only  5 moving parts and as far as I
> can tell no timing chain or belt.

Brilliant engine IMHO. I'd be tempted by the RX8 too if I had anywhere near
enough money for one :)

However, the rotary engine cannot be compared on a one-to-one basis with a
reciprocating piston engine. The norm for finding equivalent capacity is to
roughly double the rotary chamber's basic capacity. Here's but one reference for
that:

http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/pg29.htm

It has been done that way for as long as I've been collating specifications - at
least 15 years.

Ciao

Zak