Speedo/ tranny question

   OK...... once again I need the wisdom of the digest. Today I put a new
speedo cable in my 73 spider and it hooked up nicely. Spinning it with a drill
causes the speedo to register just fine. It hooked up nicely to the "sender"
that is bolted into the side of the gear box. But..... still no operable speedo.
With removing and inspection of the "sender," the gear on the end of it looked
very slightly worn concave but other wise fine, and the cable hooked squarely
and positively into the sender. Could it be the related gear in the gearbox
that is at fault, or does this small amount of wear on the "sender" gear cause
it to cease its duty?
  Thanks in advance,
        Randy Long
        73 Spider