'85 Spider Fuel Starved

When the gas guage indicates 1/4 tank or less my Spider nearly always starts
missing, as though running out of gas between 1,500 and about 2,500 rpm.  A
few dollars worth of gas always cures the problem untill below 1/4 tank full
again.  There is always more than a gallon of gas in the car according to the
pump reading on a fill up.  Last night I removed the one way air valve in the
evaporation control loop, and got immediate suction.  Car ran fine without the
valve.  Cleaned valve as best I could and put it back.  No problems as of yet.
Could the valve sticking shut, i.e., not allow air into the system cause such
symptoms?  Anyone know a source for a new valve?  Thanks.