Clutch hydraulic trouble ('87 Spider)

Hi Group:

I need some advice about the clutch hydraulics on my '87 Spider. here's what happened:

Last Thursday AM I got in the car and discovered no pressure in the clutch system. I hadn't driven the car in about a week, and had previously noticed that the slave had been leaking slightly. I got the car up on the jack stands, and the rubber boot on the slave was swollen to about 3 times normal size. When I punctured it, lots of rusty-looking fluid squirted out. So I replaced the slave, noticed the back of the MC looked a bit wet, and I just replaced that, too. The rubber hose looks good, all the connections are dry and tight, and the hard line looks OK, dry, but a bit rusty.

Usually I just let the slave hang under the car and gravity bleed the system for a few minutes, before mounting it in the bellhousing; a method that has always worked for me. This time, I let a pint of fluid bleed out, and got an almost continuous stream of bubbles, large and small. I tried a pressure bleed, too, with the same result. There was so much air, that it must have been coming in as fast as it was going out. Here's a weird artifact I noticed. When I release the air bleeding pressure from the MC reservoir, several large bubbles come out of the two holes in the MC body that the fluid drains into from the reservoir. It will happen virtually every time. I even tried just using my mouth to put a little pressure in the reservoir, and every time, I get those same bubbles up through the fluid in the reservoir. The pushrod side of the MC doesn't seem to be leaking any fluid, either.

It may also be worth mentioning that both parts appear to be what's been called "OEM-quality" by some vendors. The slave came from IAP, and the MC from Linea Rossa. The last time I bought these parts for my other Spider, it was a few years ago, and the parts came in Ate or Benditalia boxes, so there was never any question about their quality and origin. This time the slave was generic, without part numbers or even new circlips, and it was delivered in an unmarked plastic bag. Same for the MC, except it looks to be poorly-made (maybe from Eastern Europe?), with a smallish rectangular reservoir that has to be pulled to access the top mounting nut, and both the reservoir and its cap are made of very thin plastic. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

So, what's going on here? Any ideas? I've never spent more than a few minutes on a clutch bleed, and usually only bleed out maybe a cup of fluid. I'm assuming the new slave is OK, since I'm getting those strange bubbles from the MC, and also because the slave is a much simpler part. Anyone think I bought a bad MC, as I do?

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's --