From: dsedon@domain.elided
To: mike_nakamura@domain.elided, alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: 164 alternatives
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:57:26 -0400

hi mike,

i couldn't see spendiing $15k-$20k on a car, unless it was at least 250hp, rwd, good handling... dunno what fits that category in the new/relatively new category.

all the suggestions i've seen would require *at least* as much $$$ for maintenance, imo, than what i would suggest getting: a 91-93 164. *much* cheaper to keep running than yer 94 ls, imo...

we bought our '92 in 97, w/117k on the ticker. it now has ~203k, & is still going strong. since we've had it, it's had stepper motor gears replaced w/bronze gears, new heater core, new hvac fan, new tranny input shaft bearing replaced. these were the spendy items. (still awaiting the a/c compressor to fail!) i saved a few $$$ by doing all but the tranny bearing myself. the fambly yust returned from a week at the carolina outer banks, and ~1k more miles, & the car performed quite nicely. it's hard to keep the hi-way speeds under 90, tho... ;~)

doug s.