Mercedes Stepper Motors Fail Too

Thought you would be amused to learn that the Bosch stepper motors as applied
to the new C-Class range of automobiles are starting to fail.  My 2001 C-240
MT with 34,000 miles on the clock developed that well-known ticking sound as
the recirc door kept opening and banging shut when powered up with the
ignition.  My local authorized dealer spent the better part of six hours at
$100 per hour under warranty to make the repair.  From my understanding of the
system, there are three such motors that look pretty much like the ones we are
familiar with on the 164 series cars.

Of course, Bosch claims no responsibility for the failures, stating that the
automobile manufacturer was responsible for improperly applying the Bosch
product to their in-house design application  --at least that is what we were
told at Alfa Romeo USA.  I wonder what they are telling their fellow Germans
from Stuttgart now.

Bob Little