re: Mike's 164 alternative

Mike, how _could_ you? ? ? !!!! &:-)

Here's my $0.02, anyway:

In the past I've always pointed people to an Audi Quattro Avant, but the
newer cars are drive-by-wire and I'm just not a fan of that technology. I
like my older Audi, thank-you.

We recently got my mom a new Mazda Protoge 5. I have to say that I
_really_ like this car. Being primarily a German car enthusiast, and
having driven a lot of different Hondas (but not enjoyed any of them) I
didn't think I would like a Japanese car. We had narrowed the field down
to the new Golf. But I thought we'd just give the Protoge 5 a try, and I'm
really glad we did. Hands down it is an awesome car. Standard equipment
includes 16" wheels with 4-wheel discs, front strut tower brace and f/r
anti-sway bars, and a 135 hp 4-cyl engine. I don't remember what the car
weighs; it is _extremely_ peppy. Just so you know, the car has five
more h.p. than my Audi, and it's gotta weigh at least 1000 lbs
less.... This car comes in manual 5 speed or sportomatic (can't remember
whether that is 4 or 5 speed; I'm thinking 4). The sportomatic is a
delight; even I liked it, so I kept my opinion to myself and my mom
finally elected to go with the manual tranny. It is also peppy when it's
loaded down with 4 people and stuff in the hatchback! Believe me, we tried
everything when we test-drove this car. We even went back several times
and tried different models. ABS and CD system are optional, but most of
the cars on the lot have these options. Color selection was great, as
well. I tried to talk my mom into the yellow one -- kind of a signal
yellow with a black luggage rack. She wouldn't have any of that, but came
away with a stunning metallic royal blue with tinted windows. That car
really rocks. Way to go, Mom!

Sunroof/moonroof is also optional. And the car is quiet by my
standards, even with the sunroof open. (Mom didn't get the sunroof, she
was interested in the lowest price she could get.) They were offering 0%
financing when she got the car in March.

Mike, drop me a line off-digest if you are interested. We made friends
with one of the salesman at the Kirkland dealership; his son is into drag
racing and he's keen on course racing. He won't pressure you but would
definitely be interested in your impressions of the car. They also have
the new 6 cylinder which I've been meaning to test-drive; it is a ROCKET,
but I don't know if it falls within your price range. The Protoge 5
definitely does. I'm sure if you visited Tom, he would _insist_ that you
have a chance to test-drive the 6-cylinder and the new Miata as well, so
you could compare with the Protoge 5....

Of course, there's always the new Saab convertible.... Pistachio Green?
WOW!!!

Back to Alfa stuff.

Tess