Commuter car

As much as it may nauseate everyone on the list, you should look at a V6
Camry.  I have a 4 cyl one and it's adequate for around town and once it
gets to speed on the highway, but quick, it ain't. The V6 has at least
some "guts", but on the other hand, I only paid $17K for my 2001, new
with a slushbox.  Nearly 30 mpg on the highway equals a cruising range
of over 500 miles.

Pros:
Large trunk, seats 5 reasonably comfortably, rock solid dependability,
huge gas tank (17+ gallons), comfortable ride, not too expensive, can be
repaired just about anywhere, really good heating and A/C

Con:
Ho hum, soft ride, steering's not the greatest WRT feel, pretty prosaic
styling.  Tough to find a stick shift, which is a shame since the Toyota
manual transmission is a really nice one.  By no means a performance
car, but a true transportation appliance, but a well-done one
nonetheless.

My $0.02, YMMV, etc.

Bill