Re: more 164S clutch discussion

Your analysis is correct. My TO clicked into pressure with very little
effort using just my hand after gerabox is bolted. I remembered
playing with the TO and once accidentally had the plastic ring taken out.
When installed incorrectly it does not move back easily and that
maybe the cause of why some of the people had difficulty.

I made a mistake, my clutch pressure plate covered flywheel timing mark!
I had flywheel timing mark painted yellow and extended it to top of flywheel.
As I can still see the paint I did not realized the notch at side is covered.
Well, hopefully it is not important as timing mark is also available at other side
at crankshaft pulley.

Karl

getting the TO bearing to snap on to the pressure plate in his 164 LS (same
as S and Q). Jason found that spinning the engine with the starter helps to
seat it and wondered if greasing the TO bearing would make it easier. As I
had no difficulty in setting the TO bearing to seat in my S without using
grease (except for the splines), I was puzzled, and so, I took a look at my
new spare clutch to see what could explain Jason's difficulty. Here is what
I found:

The S TO bearing has a plastic ring that covers and compresses the metal snap
ring. When the TO bearing is pushed up against the pressure plate, the
plastic ring is forced back as the pressure plate moves over the snap ring.
If the plastic ring is out of place (which could happen if someone was
playing with it), I can see how it would be diffult to force the the pressure
plate to move over and expaned snap ring. I still don't understand how
spinning the engine helps, but with the plastic ring in place, it should be a
snap without needing to engage the starter.

Good luck with the new clutch karl, -Farzan