Pebble Beach Concours

<Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
<From: Karl D <karld@domain.elided>
<Subject: 1930 Zagato, Pebble Beach, etc
<
<I was the guy who mentioned seeing a '30 Zagato on the highway here in Silicon
<Valley a few days ago. I saw him again on saturday, on the track at the Monterey
<Historic Races. He did a respectable finish, given that the class he was running
<in consisted of many cars of differing sizes and capabilities. I'm impressed he
<drove it to the track...
<
<On a different note, I went to the Pebble Beach Concours yesterday for the first
<time. I saw the Brera (obligatory Alfa content), as well as the Maybach,
<Chrysler Sixteen, VW Phaeton, etc. For some reason, given the economic pessimism
<here in Silicon Valley, it feels very much like 1933! Hugely extravagant cars
<being introduced during the (hopefully) bottom of a deep economic cycle, some of
<which caused the demise of their makers...
<
<Beautiful cars in a beautiful setting (and beautiful people with enormous egos
<and wallets). Yes, I said hello to Jay Leno, too!
<
<Karl
<Sunnyvale, CA

The Monterey Historic weekend is the absolute best car event in this country. I've have not been for several years now, but about 1990 all three of the BAT cars were at Pebble Beach. It was really something to see. I believe in 1985, my first visit, Alfa was they honored marque. I still have a video tape of the event including footage of Fangio driving the circuit. If there is only one car thing you do before you die, make it the Historic weekend in Monterey.

Brad Purvis