Re: Berlina dash construction - 1750 vs 2000 / WTB 2L dash

This weekend I had the opportunity to look at both a 1750 and a 2 liter dash
that were in a friend's garage. The 1750 dash is built over an "L" shaped,
sheet metal core, so there is some basic structure. The 2L dash only has a piece
of sheet metal on the front face. This allows the mounting of the instruments
and the radio into something structural, but the entire top is just the
plastic/foam bonded together.
The sag in mine looks in part due to the weight of the radio. When I take it
apart, I'll look to see if the center strut is in place or not (I'm guessing
it's not).
I don't want to get into a rewiring project so I'm leaning toward modifying a
2L dash to stiffen it up. Mine is pretty far gone (structurally) so I would
like to find a straight dash with cracks in it to try a modification on. I
figure I can attach a 1" x 1" "L" shaped piece of aluminum channel to the
underside of the dash, and do some repair work on the cracks. So if a "nice" cracked
dash isn't too big a contradiction in terms, that's what I'm looking for,
preferably complete. I would define this as being a really good looking, "too bad
abut those cracks" sort of thing.
Stevan Thomas
73 Berlina Super