RE: turning circle

> I'm missing something in Ken Stevenson's explanation of his Ferrari
Boxer's turning circle as a trade-off for optimum steering at speed.

Yes, the Boxer unit is rack-and-pinion, with 3.28 turns lock-to-lock.
The Boxer 12.2m (40 ft) turning circle is interesting when one considers
that the wheelbase is only 2500 mm. For a tight turning circle, perhaps
slow steering required for high speed would need an excessive number of
turns lock-to-lock.

It follows that a car that is really good at auto crossing would have
dangerously fast steering at high speed.

The 164 steering could be subject to design beyond the requirements of a
FWD layout. With a top speed on the 3.0 Alfa 164 around 150 MPH, it
makes sense to me that there is some compromise with steering
speed/turning circle. So, when I must make a second pass at a tight
parking space, I like to chalk it up to having a high speed car.

Best regards,

Ken