Re: Maserati 4Porte <NAC>

The Quattroporte continues to fascinate people because it is a car that's
supposed to be low-key, yet ironically makes a huge statement because of
its size, its opulence, and its name. Modena's favorite son Pavarotti had
one. On screen, both Rocky III and Godfather III had one. I have dicreetly
watched from behind the wheel as people on the street and soccer moms in
other cars do double-takes. You may not know what it is, but your eyes are
drawn to it, and yet it is not a "look at me!" kind of car. In terms of
design it's left me perplexed: it has a plain vanilla rear end (save for
the dual exhaust tips poking out). The front end is very intimidating for a
sedan, but take the trident away and most people would probably think they
were looking at a big American car from the 70s. There are a lot of super
sedans available now, but in the early 1980s it was quite special to see
one of these. Several years ago at the Monterey weekend we watched a
procession of Maseratis caravan "at speed" down Highway 1: Bora, Khamsin,
Ghibli, Quattroporte (ok, Merak too). The car has a very impressive
pedigree.

Chris Robyn
SF Bay
'88 Verde