Re: Daily drivers

Biba wrote:

>In #709 Andrew Watry mistakenly makes the following points:

>"Re Tom and Biba's exchange about daily drivers, I'm with Tom:"

>(First mistake)

>"I have used a Giulia sedan, with 1600 or 1750, as a daily driver off
and on for 25 years."

>(No doubt whilst wearing a hair shirt).

...etcetera, and so forth and so on.

Our Beeb simply fails to understand that there are those to whom the
only truly useful car is one that is quick as any street-racer's Honda,
has all the modern comfort gizmos, and is at least as reliable as a
refrigerator...and then there are those to whom "quick" means fast
enough to scare me sometimes, "comfortable" means I have a place to sit
that won't kill my back in half an hour, and "reliable" means it doesn't
quit on me too often, and I can usually fix it when it does, PROVIDED
that the car in question is interesting, and amusing to drive. Biba
clearly fits into the first category, while Andrew, Tom and I are
happily situated in the second one. And while my own Daily Driver is (as
I've mentioned a few times) the very same Milano in which my sweetie and
I drove here from Tennessee three years ago, said Milano has not had
functioning AC since sometime in 1997, the driver's seat diaphragm is
busted so that I'm sitting, like, down in a bucket, and the electrics
are shall we say Dodgy. But I love it anyway.

Will Owen