Re: Giulia Super C-pillar emblems

Timothy Rodgers asks:

"Most of the Giulia Supers Ive seen have a stainless area at the bottom of
the C pillar with a small Alfa logo recessed in the stainless.  I did see a
photo of a Super for sale on ebay some time ago that had a green serpent
mounted on the stainless instead.

"Does anyone know the history as to which cars got which emblem?  My European
1971 Giulia 1300 Super has no stainless or emblem- the C pillar is just
painted like the rest of the car."

For the record, someplace in the deeper archives of the digest there lies an
ancient exchange I had with David Mericle the younger; my recollection had
been that there was no c-pillar emblem on the Giulia Super I bought new in the
US in 1967; his belief was that all Supers had a small Alfa badge there. In
the end I thought he was right, his observation was correct and my
recollection wrong, and said so on the digest.

Alfa milked that excellent hull through many variations, with detail shuffling
in trim as well as in mechanical specifications, several different
instrument/dashboard sets, and a different hood, trunk lid, bumpers and
headlight treatment in the last versions. Distinct versions which d'Amico &
Tabucchi list are the Giulia T.I., Giulia T.I. Super, Giulia 1300, Giulia 1300
T.I., Giulia Super, Giulia Super 1.6, Giulia 1600 S, Giulia 1300 Super, Giulia
Super 1.3, Nuova Super 1.3, Nuova Super 1.6, and Giulia Diesel.

At the base of the C-pillar there is a joint between the roof panel and the
rear quarter panels. That joint could be left visible, or leaded-in, (as a
similar joint is on the GT Veloce) which is a tad more expensive in
production, or concealed with a molding, either a narrow one which just covers
the seam or a wider trapezoid which would have room for an emblem.

Dave Mericle's recollection and the parts book show a trapezoid with a small
monochromatic plastic Alfa emblem on the Super; the emblem and the trapezoid
both have 105.26 numbers indicating no earlier use than the Super, and no
other emblem or molding for that location is listed in my T.I., T.I. Super,
and Super parts books. However, d'Amico & Tabucchi have photos, (p.583)
including a detail of the C-pillar trapezoid, of a version with the Visconti
biscione on the trapezoid, along with a different grill. That badge also shows
up on the 1600 S which effectively replaced the T.I. as the 1600 base model. I
haven't seen it elsewhere.

I don't have a parts book for the 1300 Super or the Super 1.3, but the Nuova
Super parts book shows a narrow molding at the joint; that molding has a
105.39 parts number, indicating first use on the 1300 T.I. which was
introduced in 1965, three years after the T.I.

Timothy refers to the trapezoids as stainless. In all photos I have seen both
the narrow molding and the trapezoid appear to be body color. My best guess is
that both were stainless but that both were originally painted. As always, if
anyone can add or correct, have at it.

On a broadly different subject, anyone who wants to interpret my replies to
this or other digest questions as evidence of egomania or hubris is welcome to
do so. I think it has been mainly that I enjoy sorting information,
particularly when there is an interesting question and when the sort may be
useful and/or interesting to someone else. But it has not been without
ramifications elsewhere in my life.

I've been trying (with limited success so far) to cut back on digest
participation, as I may also have to on Alfa ownership, but that has nothing
to do with the occasional disputes which erupt; I simply have to spend much
more of my time on more pressing things, mainly getting one house
renovation-in-process (on the one where I have my cars, shops, and books) done
to the point of livability, and the present undermaintained live-in house
restored to the point of salability. If that means parking the Alfas and
driving an appliance, so be it. You have to do what you have to do.

Willpower lacking, I'll probably always lurk and sometimes rise to tempting
bait. Fate willing, I may still get some of the hung-fire project Alfas going.
Meanwhile, enjoy yours-

John H.