'88 Spider- fuel vapor carbon canister location?

I am in the process of replacing my fuel lines and checking for sources of
fuel odor leaks.  Everything is pretty straight forward according to previous
Digest assistance and my manual; however, the location of the fuel vapor
carbon canister is not entirely clear.  I am able to trace the routing of the
clear vapor hose in bits and pieces.  It appears that part of the hose goes to
the altitude compensation unit, running under the passenger side carpet.  The
hose runs from the fuel injection plenum through the firewall (passenger side
and under the passenger side between the air blower and the carpet.  Then I
lose it.  It appears the canister is somewhere forward of the shift lever
under the dash.  Can anybody help me out here?  Also, any experiences with the
vapor recovery line being the source of fuel odors?  Should this be replaced
as a precaution?
Paul Steffy '88 Spider