VVT cam failure

Has anyone ever seen the VVT device on the L-jet
spiders fail, It's not the solenoid that failed but
the mechanism disposed on the cam that failed.  What
happend is that the series of teeth on the mechanism
were no longer meshed together, wherein the intake cam
then spun 90 degrees out of time (taking the valves
with it).

My question is how could this have happened?  I am
going to take the VVT device apart to determine how
this could have happened.  I would have though that
any failure of the device would have just rendered it
useless instead of taking out the valves.

Kelly