From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Bill
MacFarland
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 1:12 PM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: V6 rebuild questions

Hey everyone, I'm rebuilding my 3.0 V6 and have two quick questions.
First, I see in the manual that there should be safety tabs under the
bolts that hold down the crank bearing caps. But there were no safety
tabs when I removed the bearing caps. Do I need the safety tabs - or was
this something phased out by 1988 when my milano was built?

Second question, when I removed my crankshaft I did not see any "bushing
for direct drive shaft." I do see something that fits that description on
the end of my driveshaft. Do I need to replace this thing? Is it ok if I
leave it on the end of the drive shaft and just install the driveshaft
"the reverse of removal"?

I have received quite a bit of help on this engine rebuild via email from
several alfisti. Thank you very much. If I can get my crankshaft back
from the machine shop by this weekend, then I might be able to get the
engine built and broken in just in time to get the car down to MAARC'S
VIR school in September. Ofcourse that's where the engine failed last
year (broken tensioner, Turn 1, lots of blue smoke, painful memories).
Wish me luck.

Bill in MD
--
  Bill MacFarland