RTV on Cylinder Liner O-Rings, or Not...?

I was about to send in my opinion regarding this surprisingly popular
flame / discussion - then I read Jim Steck's comments regarding throwing
away the O-rings and using silicone only. I particularly liked the idea
of then bolting the head down and leaving overnight to set up. One thing
Jim didn't mention is that if any silicone should squish out, one can
then just cut it off after it sets up.

Last engine I rebuilt the machine shop had a lot of difficulty getting
(especially) one of the liners out. I ended up with some gouges in the
block along with a fair amount of pitting. I removed the high spots of
the gouge and gently sanded down the bottom portion of the blocks liner
mating surface. I filled in the gouge marks with (perhaps you've heard
me mention this miracle product before) JB-Weld and sanded. I then used
O-rings with a smear of silicone to fill the pits (as Jim mentions).
Worked fine.

What amazes me is of all the myriad parts on Alfas which seem like they
should be fairly bullet-proof, but turns out not to be the case. Then
you have a situation where you're sliding in new liners which were made
perhaps 30 to 40 years after the block was cast and it is rare to hear
of water leaking from the liners into the oil.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA