Re: 2600 Soider

In a message dated 8/6/2003 9:38:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:55:44 -0400
> From: Jon Finkelstein <jfinkelstein@domain.elided>
> Subject: 2600 Spider
>
> Greeting,
>
> Been a long time since my last post. Having a baby will do that.... ;-)
>
> Have a question for the collective.
>
> I'm thinking about finding a 60s 2600 Spider (1964 perhaps - the penultimate
> year). I like the idea of a convertible with enough room for 3 or 4. My 84
> spider is a two seater. And I already have a GTV so a GTC doesn't hold that
> much appeal.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone out there has a 2600 spider, and/or knows
> enough about them  to impart some advice on this model. Is it worth getting
> if I can find one? Alfa only made less than 2500 of them so locating one
> could be challenging.
>
> Of course, if anyone knows of one for sale......
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> jonnO in TorontO
>
> ------------------------------

I have had a 2600 Spider since 1979 and have thoroughly enjoyed owning it.
It is a great road car, very reliable, great engine and has enough pep to be
fun to drive.  It rides well and is not as ponderous as some would make you
believe.  In track tours at Sears Point, it keeps up with everybody (passes some)
even on skinny tires.  It does not seat 4 adults for any but the shortest
trips, however, unless the driver and front seat passenger are very short or enjoy
sitting with their knees in their chins.  Parts can be expensive but
availability of same is actually improving.

Finding one may, as you say, be another problem.  About a month ago, a fairly
sanitary but not correct one (early 2000 front bumper, wrong parking lights,
etc.) went for just over $15,000 on EBay and was probably a good buy, so they
are finally getting to be worth something.  IMHO, it is the most
under-appreciated Alfa ever built.

John Maclay
'64 2600 Spider (not for sale)
'91 164 L (ditto)