Re: Lost Alfa

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<snip>
> You can't get other people's VIN from the state due to privacy protection
> taking precedence over freedom of information, but since the car was once
in
> your possession, this argument is lessened.

Sonny makes some good points. And Brad, do I feel for you on the loss of the
car. BTDT.

Many states *will* allow a lawyer or other legit professional (read
'licensed') to research/trace car ownership for historical purposes. But there has to
be a reasonably good story and the state *definitely* wants someone on which to
hang the blame if things go south, thus the 'licensed professional in good
standing' thing.

Once you find the VIN and the state, you can probably find a decent lawyer in
that state to send the current owner a note saying something like "My client
once owned this car and would be interested in purchasing it back from you, if
it were ever put up for sale. Please let me know." Your lawyer would keep
both your names secret from the other until you both agreed it was OK to release
them to each other. Maybe could even do the sale anonymously.

Might be worth a try, all they could say is "No."

My $.02, YMMV

Tom
Seattle