RTV on Cylinder Liner O-Rings, or Not...?

In a message dated 8/5/2003 10:48:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:01:38 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dio Genio <diogenio@domain.elided>
> Subject: RTV on Cylinder Liner O-Rings, or Not...?

<SNIP>
Is there some method to
> ensure that the liners stay put once seated with RTV
> (even while installing the pistons and rods)?

<SNIP>
> Dennis
> San Diego

   Go to the hardware store.  Buy about two feet of 3/8 plumbing pipe, either galvanized or black iron.  Plumbing pipe in the 3/8 size has an inside diameter slightly larger than 12 mm, which is the size of the head bolt studs for the Alfa engines.  Cut into sections approximately 5 inches - measure your engine before cutting -  I forget the exact length.
     Also buy some large diameter washers with a 1/2 inch hole, the thicker the better.  The diameter of the washers needs to be such that they will span from the edge of the engine block to the lip of the cylinder liner.  If they are too large and lap over the inside bore of the liner, grind them down.
     Put a washer on the head stud between cylinders 1 and 2 and another between 3 and 4.  Put on the plumbing pipe and secure with a cylinder head nut.  Use two hold downs per set of cylinders if you prefer.
     These cylinder liner hold downs should be in place on the engine from the moment you remove the cylinder head, until you install it again.  Well, you do have to take them off to remove the liners.

     As to RTV, I have had no problems with the little rubber O rings leaking.  Make sure both the bottom of the liner and the taper in the block where it sits are clean and free of pits.  And then make sure the liners do not move once they are in place.
     If you insist in using RTV, that is your decision.  I do not think it will hurt anything.

     By the way, for the Alfa V-6 engine, my hold down tools are similar.  The length of the plumbing pipe is different and instead of washers, I made the part that spans from the liner to the edge of the block from steel strapping.  I think the steel strap ran all the way across the block and I may have had to grind the edges to clear the cylinder bore.  And you need four.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City