RE: Theoretical HP

At least to the mid 70s, Illinois and Chicago used taxable horsepower for
tags. It was calculated on bore, number of cylinders and total displacement,
in Chicago and I believe Illinois there were under 58 hp and over 58 hp.
I remember that the break point was somewhere in the 300 cu. in. area.
If memeory serves me correctly there was a case where two 3XX cu. in. were
on either side of the 58 hp mark, being that the bore was used it happened
that the larger bore engine had a slightly higher taxable hp than the
stroker.
My first car a 1300cc VW Bettle was around 12 taxable hp.

John Katos
(raised in Chicago)
West Dundee, IL USA