Re: alfa-digest V9 #687

In a message dated 8/4/03 10:45:43 AM, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< 60-70 horsepower (in the modern sense. England used funny HP ratings in
those days (most likely for tax purposes) and I never have seen any
real correlation between modern HP figures and the old English ones.). <<

If was some theoretical hp figure based on the bore and stroke. Many
countries used similar schemes I think, but with different ways of
calculating it. You are correct that it was used for tax purposes.

All the best

Keith >>

Although I don't remember the exact formula, the result was the tax man
became co-engineer when designing British engines during the pre-war per-
iod. (And why trikes were an economical aternative to four-wheelers...;-)

Tony in NJ
W.A.S.T.E.