Re: "factory" oil filter

My theories:

The filter's physical size has nothing to do with either the sump capacity
or the engine's displacement.  A filter would be rated/chosen for its
filtration effectiveness (in microns) and its flow rate. I assume that an
undersized filter would leak, explode, show high (or low) oil pressure, or
all of the above.

Two engines can have the same lubricating oil flow rate but have very
different capacities for the sump or swept volume.  By way of example,
consider that a dry-sumped engine has effectively zero sump capacity.  Sumps
are reservoirs for storage, cooling, and gassing-off of your engine oil.

  I doubt there have been many car engines made in the past 40 years which
have a marked difference in oil flow rates from any other proprietary
engine.  Oil flow rates are not something which is mentioned unless one is
racing, and even then only a select few would be able to quote figures.

I would (and have) used aftermarket filters for years on various engines
from 2L Alfettas to 6.2L GM diesels with no ill effects.  In fact all the
aftermarket Alfa filters I've used are physically larger than the OEM item
making withdrawing them from the engine bay rather messy.

If you are really concerned about your chosen aftermarket oil filter,
contact the manufacturer for the filter's spec sheet.

Beatle
Oz