Replicas

George wrote  <"If I'm not mistaken, Jaguar built some replicas of the
> pre-war (and still stunningly beautiful) SS-100 in the 1960s too. These
> used the then current XK DOHC straight six but looked a lot more like
> the original car than the 4R Zagato looked like a 6C1750.">

Jaguar didn't build these replicas..but like Dr Spooner who said "I can
remember your name perfectly, but I've completely forgotten your face" I can't
quite remember who built them (Jankel..maybe, but i'm clutching at straws
here). We have a kit car builder here called Marlin who make an pre-war
Alfa-esque sports tourer car which is more of a homage to an Alfa than an
attempt to copy one. Most have Ford engines, but the occasional Alfa engine
turns up in one, and they are welcome enough at most Alfa days with only a few
purists getting their knickers in a bunch about their presence. Marlins have
been in low scale production for over twenty years now so someone must like
them.

I went to watch a friend race his Kawasaki 400 at Cadwell Park last weekend.
He won both his races, incidentally. Coming home on one of Lincolnshires
finest roads I was mightily cut up and spat out by a madman thoroughly
enjoying himself in an Alfa 155 2.5V6. He overtook me in my 164 going down a
hill with a  corkscrew  bend at the bottom. I wasn't trying to race him or
anything, but I was quite surprised and relieved he made it through the left
hander at the bottom of the hill. I think he likes his car whoever he is!

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

164TS
164Super