Re: alfa-digest V9 #679

It's not a replica, because nothing was replicated. At best it "suggests" a 6C1750 Zagato, at worst it's just a retro-styled car. In my previous post, I said that it has the effect of reminding one of an MG TD, but I misspoke. What I should have said was that it's more reminiscent of an MG TF. I.E. It is to a real 6C1750 Zagato what an MG -TF is to a pre-war MG-TA. It has a few of the styling cues from the original mixed with more modern mechanicals such as independent front suspension, small wheels, etc but the end result is, ultimately, unsatisying. If I'm not mistaken, Jaguar built some replicas of the pre-war (and still stunningly beautiful) SS-100 in the 1960s too. These used the then current XK DOHC straight six but looked a lot more like the original car than the 4R Zagato looked like a 6C1750.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Friday, Aug 1, 2003, at 11:26 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 07:45:39 +0200
From: Zak McGregor <zak@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Alfa 4R

George Graves wrote:

 The Spider 4R Zagato came from an idea put forth in an article in an
 Italian magazine named "Quattroruote."
And at once illustrated why motoring journalists should not be designers or
engineers ;-)

This is the only road-going Alfa (yes, _including_ the Arna!) that I refuse to
add to my database - that should give you some idea of how little the concept or
execution appeals to me. But now I have to ask: is it a replica in the worst
sense of that word? It apes and imitates yes, but only something this very
manufacturer made previously. Anyway, my vote's in - what do others think?

Ciao

Zak