Re: Quattroruote Zagato 4R

The Spider 4R Zagato came from an idea put forth in an article in an Italian magazine named "Quattroruote." They resemble a 1750 Zagato from the late '20's/ early 30's and were actually built on a Giulia floorpan by the original coachbuilder, Zagato and sported a real, fold-down flat windshield. They are proportioned differently than was the real thing, and with the small, more modern 15" Giulia wheels don't look as 'right' somehow as did the original. Only 92 were ever built between 1966 and 1968, and the thing was frightfully expensive, costing about the same in the USA as Jaguar XK-E (almost 6000 1967 dollars If I remember correctly) . A fair number of them survive and I know of at least one on the US West Coast because it showed-up last summer at the Concorso Italiano in Monterey. I got a chance to look it over quite carefully as I had lusted after one when they were new (and I was in college) so it was quite interesting to see one in the flesh, at last. The car looked very well made, and with the Giulia running gear probably went better than the original. I don't know how much they are worth these days, but the overall impression with which I was left was that the car more closely resembled an MG TD in effect, than it did a real 1750 Zagato.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Thursday, Jul 31, 2003, at 15:20 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:41:11 -0700
From: "George Washington" <halogenbulb@domain.elided>
Subject: Quattroruote Zagato 4R

Does anybody know anything about these cars that were produced between 1966
& 1968? These are the 30's ish factory "replicars" that are supposed to
look like old open-air 2 seaters of yesteryear and were built on a Giulia
floorpan.

Are there any of these left running around? Were any of these imported into
the States? Are any for sale? Are they extremely expensive or veritably
worthless?

Tim Annett
Email: tim6@domain.elided