Re: alfa-digest V9 #677 - reverse lights

In a message dated 7/31/2003 5:26:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:51:18 -0700
> From: Jonathan Thames <jthames@domain.elided>
> Subject: reverse lights
>
> Here's a silly one: Do I really have to remove the transmission and
> bellhousing to R&R the reverse lights switch?
>
> Jonathan W. Thames

     What Alfa are you talking about?  You should always include that
information when asking for technical assistance.
       On the later model spiders, yes the back up switch is inside the
bellhousing.  You have to remove the transmission to fix them.  However, I have
never had one go bad.
       Are you sure it is the switch?  There are two wires that come out of
the bellhousing.  They have snap plugs a couple of feet from where they come
out of the bellhousing.  Use an ohmmeter or some type of continuity test device
to check if the switch is working as someone else shifts into and out of
reverse.
       If it is the switch, do you really need back up lights bad enough to
pull the transmission?

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City