From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Riso, Antonio
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 12:49 PM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: 164 RPM & Timing Sensor

Have any of you had any trouble with this sensor?  My 164 stumbles terribly
after I sit in traffic for a while.

There seems to be a temperature threshold (in the engine compartment) that
triggers these symptoms.  When this happens, the car idles poorly, sometimes
it stalls or idles around 300 - 400 RPM, and it will not accelerate higher
than 1600 RPM.  If I let it cool for a while, it will work fine until a
certain critical temperature is reached.  So far, I have tried another
airflow meter and another coil with no success.  I suspect the RPM sensor or
some other sensor is shorting out beyond a certain temperature.  If any of
you have any experience with this type of problem, I would appreciate if you
contact me off-line with suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,

Antonio Riso

1991 164L