Re: Always Looking For Another (hmm, practical?)

As a veteran of two V6 Alfas I can let you in on a little secret. Most people
never get to the "practical" part of owning an Alfa V6.
It seems to take about 18 months, 2,500 - 3,500 dollars and about a hundred
hours of owner wrench time to break through the repairs and ill-considered
things that POs do to an Alfa V6 in 10 years of ownership.
Most people bail out after a couple of trips to the mechanic (it's one of the
reasons these spectacular cars are available to me).
In my experience, you can get to a state of "practical" ownership with the V6
cars. You'll do better if you include a lot of personal time with the car
maintaining the little stuff i.e. seat switches, electric antenna, blower motor,
fuel filter, ignition coil, door handles...
The car will need you. I really enjoy that part of the deal. Many people
don't.
I hope this information helps.
Sincerely,
Jim Oiler
1991 164L (in practical mode for three months now, door handles don't count
today)
1969 912 (never accused of being practical)