clutch disfunction -- sticking MC piston?

      You guys have hit on exactly why I always bleed the clutch from
underneath, especially brand new / dry systems.  When you push the clutch pedal down,
the dry piston in the master cylinder often sticks down and returns only over
time.  Bench bleeding the master before putting it on is OK, but then you
drip fluid during the installation process.
       With the system installed and everything tightened, fill the brake
fluid resevour.  Open the bleed on the slave and allow some fluid to run down to
lubricate things.  Then push the clutch activation rod into the slave cylinder
- push on the clutch fork.  Then close the bleeder and allow the spring in
the slave to push the piston and the fork back to rest.  This draws fluid from
the resevour into the system.  Repeat as necessary.  Follow up by pumping the
clutch several times.  On the 105 / 115 Alfas, the system will self bleed a bit
because the hydraulic lines all run up hill.  But you may have to work the
pedal to move the fluid around and coax the bubbles to move uphill.
       This method has the added advantage of not requiring an assistant.  My
wife's standard comment is that all I think she is good for is bleeding
brakes / clutches.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City