Re: Importation of Foreign cars

At last I see a constituency of Americans beginning to recognize the US auto laws for the protectionist crap they really are. They have long since ceased to have any relevance in connection with safety or the environment.

The big Three (actually the big two and a half) seem to have Washington wrapped around their little finger(s).

Big gas guzzling cars are unsafe and bad for the environment? Fine, make 'em illegal and allow Americans to buy only big gas guzzling trucks that are unsafe and bad for the environment, but have much better profit margins than those old cars they used to get to buy.

European and Japanese cars got you down? Fine, make everyone build special models just for the US market. Make emissions and safety regs so unique no other manufacturers in the world will be able to make money complying with them as well as for their home market. Since US manufacturers can make big ugly light trucks that no one else in the world could possibly want let alone afford to run, the competition will just die away. Even the Japanese found it more economical to simply design and build US/Canada only models in the US and Canada. Totally weird man. BMW and Mercedes make their SUV in the US. Heck, BMW even makes its convertible in the US.

Result? Virtually no foreign sales of US designed or built cars but also, virtually no choice for the US consumer from the vast variety available in the rest of the world. Walk down any auto dealer strip anywhere in the world except the USA/Canada and you can buy from a cornucopia of different vehicles that are stylish, economical, fun to drive and safe. Drive down (no one in NA walks to a car dealership) any similar street in Canada/USA and you can select from a warmed over, extremely limited selection of "different" models of car or light truck that are more or less uniformly hideous, fuel guzzling and boring to drive. The real choice available to the US or Canadian consumer is extremely limited if you look beneath the superficial skin to the real car underneath. There are maybe a dozen cars a true enthusiast with a normal income could even consider buying, most of those provide a pretty unremarkable driving experience.

And butt ugly. The Lexus convertible is breathtakingly ugly. The much vaunted Nissan 350 Z is hideous in the flesh, the Infiniti version just barely acceptable. Most new designs for the North American market seem to have a substantial "hummer" influence. Just incredibly ugly.

The new designs for our market that are not ugly include the Corvette, the Mazda 6, possibly the Mini depending upon whether you appreciate the real Mini or just the fashionable idea of the old Mini with no understanding of what that car was really about, the Mazda RX8, ... I cannot think of another at the moment, there may be one or two more. The Infiniti G 35 sedan isn't bad if a bit generic.

Compare the European cars available such as the Alfa 156 or 166, or 145. The Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, Fiat, Seat, even some generic Euro models like the Ford and GM Europe cars are better looking than anything we can buy. I'm sure there are many more...the Lotus Elyse springs to mind immediately for some reason. There are several MG cars that look interesting, and so on.

Compare to the Bertone GTV or the Giugiaro GTV6, or the much criticized Milano which now looks very current and quite stunning....

We are in sad shape over here on the NA continent. And we are doing this to ourselves for no reason at all. Unless you approve of protecting the US auto industry so that it can buy up the world's manufacturing capacity and make sure everyone in the world has no choice but to buy dull, ugly, boring to drive cars. and trucks.

If I see another Hummer 2 anytime soon I may be sick....

Cheers

Michael

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L