RE: 164 overheating reminder

The fan failure has no direct relation with cooling system.
A bad cooling systen may cause fan to kick in more often than
normal but should not cause fuse to melt.
The most times when this happened it is the DC fan motor
cannot spin up quickly enough (bearings or other external force/object
prevent its spin up), this force it remained at high current draw for too
long and the fuse is finally melt.  A DC motor at standing start will always
draw very high current, sometinmes a resistor is used in series
to limit its current draw at starting.  This also protect the DC motor
from over heating if starting is often.   Overheating can shorten the
bearing life of a motor. This is why I do not like the idea of removing
two speed fan resistor.  With two speeds, the lower speed kicked in
first most of the time and if necessary the high speed (without go thru
the resitor) will follow.

Your fan bearing could be on on its way out so even with new fuse this
could happen again.  If this is the case the only cure is a new fan motor.
I had fan fuse blown on me twice on different cars( 92 VW Corrado and
92 Alfa 164S ) and both times when I checked the fan bearings they are
not good so a new fan motor is the better solutuion for me.  Sure, a new
fuse with some luck the DC motor may survive another year.  But it
may also happen again in a few days.   Do not use higher rated fuse
to by-pass the problem.  Fire could happen.

The fusible link can tolerate rated current longer than the quick melt
blade type fuse used in fusebox.  The blade type fuse is also not reliable
over 30A because of its contact design.  The fusible link using screws
to tighten contacts can be safely used in higher current.

Karl Chen