clutch disfunction

Esteemed Digesti,
Yesterday I renewed the GTV clutch master cylinder, hoping to solve a clutch
problem that I'm beginning to think might be a reassembly mistake. With the
newly rebuilt engine having only recently been dropped into my ongoing
restoration, the clutch pedal does not begin actuate the clutch spring until about
two-thirds of the way down it's stroke. The clutch lever arm seems to have the
proper angle as it emerges out of the bell housing, but as it's installed, I can
manually move the lever against the slave cylinder, compressing it into it's
bore. My other 105 slave is tight against the clutch spring in the retracted
position. Something is definitely amiss. The GTV has a later-model EFI
bell-housing...is it possible that the clutch geometry is different on these later
cars?  Is it possible that the slave cylinders have different mounting
arrangements? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
modelle in somers point
105's 1 & 2