Cleaning or flushing a Steering Box

Wondering if anyone has ever tried something like this? I have a Burman box in the 77 Spider.. There was discussion on replacing the lower seals some months back, but I was wondering if you can "flush" the box by pulling the seal, and pouring something thin like 5w oil thru?

Side note.. on Burman steering boxes.. if you pull out the lower seal, is the gap pretty big in letting fluid out? When I got the car, the little filler plug was missing for who knows how long, and it would seem, the box is dry. (obvious signs of leakage, but it dosen't anymore) The box seems to be healthy, but I wonder about how much grit might have gotten in that open filler. Since I hear it's pretty hairy to remove the box, do you think flushing it with something thin with the seal out is a viable way to clean it? Looking for something slightly better than replacing the seal, filling it up, and possibly living with some dirt.
I really have no idea how long the cap was gone, or if the car was driven during that time. I think it was stored for 2-3 years a couple of owners ago.. might have run out then and no dirt.. who knows.. Since it wasn't loose, perhaps I'm lucky.. Anyone care to comment on how quick dirt and no oil eats up your steering mechanism?

Thanks..

Jon and Marcia
77 Spider (with much progress being made, and Marcia even repacking wheel bearings!)