Replicas etc.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:14:03 +0000
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided (alfa-digest) wrote:

>  Zagato threw their own body designs over various Alfa floorpans, so why does
>  this make the practice off limits to everyone else ?  Howsabout we use the
>  term ALFA SPECIALS and leave it at that ?

The crucial term there is "their own". I don't think anyone could possibly fault
you for designing your own body and sticking it on your chassis with the Alfa
underpinnings. I certainly wouldn't. Zagato designed their own bodies, they
didn't merely copy another's. Lotus is a prime example for me of how this
concept works. Chapman had brilliant designs and often found people to design
beautiful bodies for them (50's Elite). The fact that the engines &
transmissions and interior bits had origins in Fords and Renaults didn't detract
from the finished product much, if at all. Had he opted to make copies of some
beautiful car of decades ago, he'd be merely another in a long list of replica
makers, but today his marque has left a very positive impression on the history
books. Ironically his landmark Seven is now itself the victim (and I mean that
in the strongest possible sense) of a myriad of copiers from Donkervoort,
Westfield, Birkin and others. To some their work is acceptable, commendable etc.
To me Caterham is the only legitimate manufacturer of Sevens since they acquired
the rights to the designs from Chapman. The others are shameless ripoffs.

The difference is summed up simply as innovation versus imitation.

Ciao

Zak