proof is in the nitriding

On removing the flywheel for resurfacing on my Berlina's replacement 2000
engine, I noticed that the crankshaft's rear flywheel-attachment face had a
few little crusty hills from god-knows-what-past-experience that I wanted to
smooth out before replacing the flywheel, which had matching valleys (this
engine has run fine for years).

For the life of me with the small files and emery paper I used, I couldn't
knock them down a bit.  In my experience, these imperfections can normally
be smoothed out; I assume it's the nitriding of the crank that makes this
material so hard?  Or is the material itself just that hard? Someone here
has said only the crank journals were nitrided.  Just curious.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register