Water pump stud torque, other studs torque?

Hello all..

I have my front cover's waterpump studs all out in a bag.. (came that way from PO)

Got them all chased thru a die, and soaking in solvent now..

There is a torque spec in the documentation I have, 6-8 ft lbs, for the nuts that go on the studs.. but I haven't found anything for the studs themselves going in the block. What might be a safe "margin of difference", in that the studs should be somewhat tighter in the block than the torque of the nuts that they will carry? I haven't been finding any..

And for other studs.. is there some kind of general formula for this? For stud size X in aluminum, with nuts torqed to Y... torque stud to Y * 1.25 or something?
Or is it too hard to lay down in rules, and you just torque them rather tight, and the nuts sorta less than that tight? Would really appriciate being pointed to a good source of info on such matters.

Thanks!

Jon
77 Spider