Re: Yeah! Broken Alfetta :(

James is correct, I was mistaken. From what I can tell, the AC compressor
(I'm still not 100% on what that is) is on the bottom, and on top of that is
the alternator. The two appear to be mounted on a plate, that is then bolted
at various points, to the engine. One of those points, back top one, by the
alternator, has come loose when the stud for the header sheared off.
Interestingly (since I had left the car at work for 2 days, hadn't checked
it out thoroughly), the nut on the other stud for that part of the header is
missing....also, I don't see how that mount for the AC/Alternator attaches
at that point, it hangs almost an inch away? Maybe another bracket fell off?

I also checked around, before driving the thing home, and found that the
belt noise coming from the alternator, was because that whole bracket it was
on was loose...everything there was loose. I have no idea how it could all
come loose, but maybe from rattling, because that last point was loose?
Anyhow, tightened everything down and it was good to go. Still have the
put-put...

Ted
HMB, CA

"Unless the '78 Alfetta Sedan is substantially different under the hood
from the '78 Alfetta GT, the air pump is driven by a toothed belt
off the SPICA pump pulley, and resides outboard of the SPICA pump.
The exhaust header studs only hold on the exhaust header, and nothing
else.  The only accessory on the exhaust side is the alternator (and
maybe the AC compressor, if you have that, in which case that would be
mounted above the alternator).

jamesm"