164 susp.

>My 1991 164L (w/ automatic transmission) has the following symptoms:
>

>1.  RIDE HEIGHT.  Front driver's (left) side is lower than the front
>passenger's (right) side.  On the driver's side I can fit my ring, middle and
>index fingers vertically between the top of the tire and the bottom of the
>fender.  On the passenger's side I can also fit my pinkie.  (I've seen the
>ride height for a stock 164 as Front: 26 1/16, Rear:  26 1/2, but I'm not sure
>how to measure it.)

How many miles? lots of potholes and bumps?
Likely springs getting weak.

>2.  GRINDING NOISE.  On hard right turns, particularly downhill switchbacks
>and the steering wheel to-lock (extra pressure on driver's side front), I hear
>a grinding noise and the driver's side front tire rubs against the splash
>shield.  Left hand turns are better.  Front tires are relatively new and I
>haven't noticed any unusual wear pattern (yet!).

If the tires are correct size, 19565R15, this is typical on many cars.

>3.  JARRING CLUNK.  If I go over a speed bump with only the driver's side
>front tire (or both tires when going faster), the bump is not cushioned and it
>seems like the spring is not absorbing the bump.  Going over a speed bump with
>only the passenger's side front tire is OK.

Check the upper strut mounts. Likely weak.

>4.  SHOCKS.  I've done the "press down on the fenders and see how the car
>bounces" test and it seems OK.

If it deflects, they are possibly shot, all of my 164s (5+) hardly budge.
Check for oil on the strut housings.

>5.  FRAME.  Frame seems straight, however, it does look like a previous owner
>may have hit something with the air dam.

Non issue for what you describe...

>6.  STEERING RACK.  Had a new one (w/o dampener) --from from Jon Norman and
>Ruth Ann Yager at Alfa Parts--installed last year.

>I'm assuming that I should have both front springs checked (and probably
>replaced) and have the front shock absorbers, bushings, etc.  checked (and
>perhaps replaced).  Looking through the current IAP and an older Centerline
>catalog, I didn't see any springs for a 164 with an automatic.  Any suggested
>sources would be appreciated.

The springs for the auto trans are different, made to carry the heavier
load. Mastro has a pair on the shelf. Interestingly, the "S" uses the
automatic springs also.

Bill Harkell
AlfaBill LLC
Tampa Florida USA