Passing on the right

In my locale, passing on the right is legal but I had understood it is not in many places in North America. It is dangerous. I do it, but I prefer to pass on the left.

The passing on the right rule only works if you also have a rule requiring traffic not reaching the speed limit to drive in the right lane. Yessir, you can block the left lane only if you are already travelling at the speed limit. My particular bug bear is not left lane bandits so much as left lane enforcers who fly in formation to block speeding traffic. My usual technique for these is to cut them off as I return to the fast lane, rude but then so is blocking the left lane. Occasionally some dimwit will take it upon himself to actively obstruct me in my quest for an open lane. Generally I predict brown staining on the driver's seat for such a foolish driver. Very few of these idiots actually know how to drive so don't really know where their wheels are (other than under the car somewhere) much less where the edges of the bodywork might be. They really should learn how to drive properly if they are going to try to obstruct traffic flow.....

As for merging, very few drivers here understand the concept. It is a lawyer's delight however as the law creates equal right of way between the merging traffic and the traffic on the main road! Any accident by definition is both drivers' fault. Safe merging is best done when the merging vehicle is travelling faster than the traffic flow. Slowing your car into the gap is much more efficient than trying to accelerate into a hole in the traffic. Unfortunately, this optimum technique is illegal if you must exceed the speed limit to do so. By far the most common error is travelling too slowly down the merge lane which necessarily means you interrupt traffic flow when you insert yourself into the nose to tail traffic.

What amazes me is the attempts by drivers in the main traffic flow to actually block your merge attempt. In bumper to bumper traffic our laws require the traffic on the through road to yield alternately to traffic attempting to merge. Never seen anyone ticketed for this though, big surprise. I know of lots of people ticketed for exceeding the speed limit when trying to merge safely. How anyone thinks it is socially beneficial to prevent merging traffic is beyond my understanding.

Sigh

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L